July 26, 2009

Chicken Rigatoni

spicy chicken rigatoni

I admit, I catch Rachel Ray on the Food Network  once in a while usually when I am on treadmill, and there is nothing else is on.   Despite my annoyance at her saturation of the television airwaves, her Pasta in Vodka Sauce is a standard dish in my house and now I am adding another one - her chicken rigatoni. Apparently, this dish is common in upstate New York and it is quite good especially if you like things a little spicy.

Spicy Chicken Rigatoni
serves 4 to 6 adults

1 pound rigatoni
¾  pound chicken
¾  pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
2 large or 3 small cubanelle peppers, seeded, chopped - I used Anaheim peppers available in my supermarket
3 roasted red peppers, chopped
6 hot cherry peppers pickled in jar, in Italian section of grocery stores - I used a spicy pepper
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1/3 to ½  cup cream
½  cup grated Romano or Parmigiana plus more to pass at table
½  cup basil, about 10 leaves, thinly sliced

Bring a pot of water to a boil for pasta. 
Salt water and cook pasta to al dente. 
Reserve 2/3 cup of cooking water just before you drain the pasta. 
Trim and chop all the chicken into bite size pieces. 
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a large high sided skillet over medium-high to high heat.
Add chicken to hot pan and brown all over, 7 to 8 minutes. 
Add onions, garlic, local mild fresh peppers such as cubanelle or anaheim then season with salt and pepper and cook 6 to 7 minutes to soften then add roasted red peppers. 
Cut tops off the hot peppers and scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon then chop the hot peppers and add them to the skillet. 
Stir in tomatoes. 
Bring sauce to a bubble then stir in some starchy cooking water from the pasta - about a cup, then add the cream, twice around the pan, about 1/3 to ½  cup. 
Reduce heat to lowest setting and simmer a couple of minutes. 
Add pasta and ½  cup cheese and toss to combine.
Top the pasta with shredded basil.

Serve with crusty bread.
023

I plan on making this dish without the pasta and making grinder style sandwich out of it with melted mozzerella.

1 comment:

bonnie said...

ooh now this sounds very tasty, i will have to try this....