September 20, 2012

Traditional Pumpkin Pie

IMG_6867

IMG_6826


This is the pie that I grew up on - straight off the pumpkin pack label.  My mother made this pie every Thanksgiving and every Christmas.  I remember watching her mix up this pie and pour it into frozen pie crusts and baking while then she would move on to the more labor intensive apple pie.  I can see why this recipe is so popular with so much going on during the holidays this recipe is a real time saver.  While the recipe I like to use is time consuming and creates a bigger mess versus this recipe's two bowls and beaters, the depth of flavor of the aforementioned pie does win out most of the time for me. However the texture of this pie is lovely and light.  If I am pressed for time and use this recipe or perhaps just would like a pumpkin pie outside of Thanksgiving or Christmas, I use this recipe.  I have adjusted the spices to give it a spicier bite.

Traditional Pumpkin Pie
Makes 1 9-inch pie

1 recipe of  Pâte Brisée- traditionally unbaked but I blind baked mine for 20 minutes at 350F to ensure a nice crisp crust
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 15-ounce can of pumpkin pack
1 12 ounce can of evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees farhenheit.
Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a small bowl and set aside.
Beat eggs in a large bowl.
Stir in pumpkin and sugar and spice mixture.
Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
Pour mixture into pie shell.
Bake for 15 minutes at 425 F then reduce temperature to 350 degrees farhenheit.
Bake for 30-40 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack for 3 hours.
Serve immediately or refrigerate.


IMG_6824IMG_6789a

Recipe adapted from Libby


No comments: