May 4, 2009

Chocolate Pudding

i prefer mine warm
Chocolate pudding is one of the most heart warming and comforting desserts, especially if it is served warm. Warm chocolate pudding or cold is like a love potion and sure path to a persons heart. Growing up, we ate pudding but it was the instant boxed version - so easy and quick to make. I always wanted prepackaged pudding cups and my mother bought them a couple times on sale but I am sure our consumption rate outpaced the benefit of the money saved and they didn't make it into many sack lunches. My father loved tapioca pudding, and still does, but the children did not. I don't know why we didn't like the tapioca - maybe it was because my father teased that the tapioca pearls were frogs' eyes and acted like he loved to eat frogs eyes. To little kids, frogs eyes are serious business - I wasn't eating frogs eyes.

Today when I ask my children what they would like for a special treat, they say pudding!

Chocolate Pudding
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large egg yolks
3 1/2 cups whole milk
7 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla

Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and yolks in a 3-quart heavy saucepan until combined well, then add milk in a stream, whisking. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking, then reduce heat and simmer, whisking, 1 minute .
Force filling through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then whisk in chocolates, butter, and vanilla. Spoon into serving containers of your choice. Cover surface of filling with plastic wrap.
Chill at least 6 hours.

No comments: