February 6, 2017

Kale Pesto


kale

kale pesto

The reputation of kale is so big and so wonderful that it is surprising that cities are not named after it!  Kale is packed with nutrients, said to improve the health of eyes, skin, hair, bones and digestion.  It improves eye and heart health.  It is an antioxidant.  “Eat More Kale” is the phrase of the brain health community.  I appreciate that kale is so wonderful but I simply like to eat kale – it tastes good.  I like to lay chopped kale at the bottom of my soup bowl before I ladle soup in, add it to salads, make kale chips (I can easily eat a whole head of kale in the kale chip form), and now I like it as a delicious pesto.  It is tasty and hearty.  Add another star to kale because the pesto did not turn black when refrigerated like basil pesto.

I used the pesto as an addition to a quick bean soup but you can toss your pasta with it or spread it on a cracker or bread.  Who knows maybe there will be a town named for kale – Kale, California?

Kale Pesto
2 cups packed torn kale leaves, stems removed
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon sea salt
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup toasted walnuts
3-4 cloves garlic
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a food processor, combine the kale leaves, basil leaves, and salt pulsing until the kale is chopped up. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil.
Scrape down the sides of the processor.
Add the walnuts and garlic and process until a smooth paste is formed.

Add the cheese and pulse to combine. 

quick bean soup with kale pesto

No comments: