October 24, 2014

Ten Bean Soup with Kale Chips


IMG_1387a

IMG_1409a

Soup satisfies on every level, especially this Ten Bean Soup – the savory aroma fills the house, the flavor warms the soul, the temperature soothes, it looks beautiful, the texture of the various beans and vegetables is satisfying and the best sound is the ladle filling a soup bowl.  I never found inspiration in the packages of bean soup mix.  As I searched out my favorite lentil, I would give a passing glance until I started shopping the bulk bins at Sprouts.  I saw the gorgeous bean mixture which is more than 10 beans, and, often offers different varieties.  After controlling my urge to dive my hand deep down into the dried beans, I thought I just have to try to make this into a soup.  The flavor is a traditional vegetable soup with loads of beans.  The best part about this recipe is you use your crock pot and cook the soup all day long!

Ten Bean Soup
Serves 4-6

1-3 cups of a ten bean or multi bean mixture
4 stalks of celery, cut into a 1-inch dice
3 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes or 2 big vine tomatoes
1 green bell pepper
1 small or ½ big red or white onion
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley or a small bunch of fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth or water
Salt to taste

Rinse the beans picking over for small stones.
Soak them in water overnight around 12 hours in a large bowl.
Drain the water and rinse.
Chop all the vegetables to 1 inch pieces.
Place all the ingredients, i.e. the beans, vegetables, spices, salt and stock in a crock pot. Let it cook slow and nice for the next 10 hours on low.

Sometimes, I use the high setting if I don’t soak my beans for the full 12 hours.  I have cooked the soup for the full 10 hours with an 8 hour bean soak and still end up with some of the beans not as soft as I would have liked. 


IMG_8267


Kale Chips  

Tear washed and dried kale into medium to small pieces.
Toss with olive oil until well coated.
Toss with salt and pepper, of your choice.

Fry in a small pan on the stove top if you are doing a small amount.
Large amount - bake in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, turning at least once, and check frequently as they can go black quickly.

IMG_1405a 

Untitled
Untitled

Golden Glow

No comments: