May 19, 2013

Mocha Chip Cookies

IMG_1711a

Try new things - the habits of life are both comforting and deadly - so I try new things.  I look for ways, even if they are as small as trying a new recipe.  I love my routines of having my morning tea and toast to the family meal in the evenings where we all sit, share and laugh. I love the familiarity and steady measure of the flow of daily life (even with teenagers on the scene).  Sometimes, though, my cooking becomes drudgery and I don't look forward to it so I am always searching for ways change up my baking routine.  I look for new challenges in techniques and new flavors because I tend to bake the same sweet treats every week not only because I have mastered the technique but it is quick and easy. 

When I found Milk and Honey on Flickr, I found my perfect inspiration source.  Jen is a prolific baker and chef and her mouthwatering photos and accompanying recipes are a wonderful resource and a pleasure to peruse.  Her combination of recipes range from practical feed your family recipes with a twist.  She adds that something extra that is just the right balance for children and adults alike. 

Mocha Chip Cookies
adapted from Jen at
Milk and Honey
Makes 24

1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar 325g if you have a scale
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 7/8 cups and 1 1/4 teaspoons all purpose flour or 325g if you have a scale
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons instant coffee powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until they are light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat again. Add flour, cocoa powder, coffee powder, bi-carbonate of soda and salt and mix until combined.

Fold in chocolate chips. Roll into balls and set on baking sheet.

Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Leave the to cool on the tray from about 10 minutes then place them on a wire rack to cool further or eat warm.


 
IMG_1670

IMG_1672

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, which cookie do you prefer? the familiar chocolate chip cookie or the mocha chip?