February 23, 2009

Scottish Shortbread

Scottish Shortbread

365:42

One great solace to me when I was in my twenties and working at a job that didn't suit me was afternoon earl grey tea and Walker's Scottish shortbread. I would gaze at my photo of cloudy green Ireland (I was having a hard time adjusting to the desert), sip my tea and find peace. It was my sort of mediation with the aroma of the earl grey and the buttery flavor of the shortbread.  I was able to face the remainder of the day and the car drive home in the impossibly hot blazing sun. 

I have wanted to make Scottish shortbread forever and I am glad I did - these were delicious. They had a nice crumb, dry but not excessively, a buttery aroma. Very nice. Bring back tea time!

Scottish Shortbread

1-3/4 all purpose flour
1/4 rice flour
2/3 sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup of cold butter cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 425F
Mix flours and sugar and salt at low speed in stand mixer. Coat butter pieces with some of the flour mixture then add to dry mixture. Mix on low until it dough is like damp crumbs.

Fluff mixture and add to a 8" round that lined with a parchment round and greased. Flatten surface of dough with another 8' round pan. Run knife around edge of pan to loosen. Invert onto a parchment covered sheet pan. Cut a circle out in the center (remove center circle but keep the metal cutter in the center while baking).


Bake for 20 minutes at 300F (turn oven down when place cookie in). Remove cookie and score into wedges and pierce with design, return cookie to oven and bake for 40 minute or until done. Remove cutter from center, sprinkle with sugar and cut wedges along score marks. Cool on wire rack.

tea leaves

lillians infusian
IMG_8397

tea time

No comments: