April 17, 2008

"Lava Java" Ice Cream

coffee ice cream and chocolate sorbet

Lava Java

Two years we took a trip to Maui. It was a great trip. The kids and I went snorkeling for the first time, we all learned how to surf and we swam under a waterfall are just a few of the highlights. Hawaii was great (which is a bland description). We stayed in Kaanapali which is a short drive to Lahaina the touristy port town with its own charms. We found a local ice cream shop called Lapperts and it was delicious. When we were in Maui I fell in love with Lapperts' Lava Java ice cream. I had to have it every day. Here is my attempt at a mainland version. The coffee wasn't Kona and the chocolate sorbet seemed richer than Lapperts (I am not complaining about that!). It took me two years but I finally made it and it was delicious. The aroma of coffee scented the house and then the rich and creamy coffee ice cream paired with the chocolate sorbet was heavenly. I strongly recommend this combination. Now, I just need to figure out how to swirl them together.
coffee ice cream

Coffee Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups whole coffee beans
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
5 large egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Heat the milk, sugar, whole coffee beans, salt, and 1/2 cup of the cream in a medium saucepan until it is warm and steamy, but not boiling. Once the mixture is warm, cover, remove from the heat, and let steep at room temperature for 1 hour.

Pour the remaining 1 cup of cream into a medium size metal bowl, set on ice over a larger bowl. Set a mesh strainer on top of the bowls. Set aside.

Reheat the milk and coffee mixture, on medium heat, until again hot and steamy but not boiling. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks together. Slowly pour the heated milk and coffee mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to temper the egg yolks. Return the warmed egg yolks back to the saucepan. Stir the mixture constantly over medium heat with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and coats the spoon. When you run your finger through the custard should stay put - about 10 minutes.

Pour the custard through the strainer and stir it into the cream. Press on the coffee beans in the strainer to extract as much of the coffee flavor as possible. Then discard the beans. Mix in the vanilla, and stir until cool.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, and then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Makes one quart.


Coffee Beans Steeping 15

coffee ice cream

Chocolate Sorbet

1 cup + 2 tablespoons water
1/3 cup, packed unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate (70% cocoa solids) - I did not want to chop my chocolate so I melted it over simmering water
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Makes about 1/2 liter (1/2 quart); the recipe can be doubled.

Prefreeze the bowl of your ice cream maker as instructed by your friend the manufacturer.

In a medium saucepan, whisk together the water, cocoa powder, and sugar. 
Set the pan over medium heat and bring to a boil, whisking continually. 
Remove from heat, and add the chopped chocolate. 
Let rest for 30 seconds as the chocolate begins to melt, add the vanilla and salt, then stir until the chocolate is completely melted. 
Let cool on the counter, then refrigerate until chilled.
Whisk the mixture again just before using, and freeze using your ice cream maker per manufacturer's directions.



3 comments:

ORSprueills said...

Hey, I totally didn't know you had a blog also!!!! I always check your flickr account. Today I noticed a link to this blog. GREAT! I'm so excited to read it. I hope that is okay :)

Wendy said...

But of course it is okay.

ORSprueills said...

I am going to share the Daring Bakers with my sister the pastry chef. She is now working as an accountant but baking is her passion. I think she will love the concept.