August 26, 2013

Waffles

sunday breakfast

Waffles are special.  They reflect the time and care to make something singularly delicious for loved ones yet remain so deceptively simple.  They are a composition of opposites with the crisp exterior combined with the light soft interior. They are sturdy enough to hold syrup yet delicate enough to cut with a fork.  They are a fancy dessert or hardy street food.

 Before I purchased my waffle iron, my only experience with waffles was the toaster variety  that I loved to fill the center squares with syrup and eat like toast.  I always wanted, and begged my parents for, the large Belgian waffles loaded with whip cream and strawberries sold at the country fair, and, when I ate my first Belgian waffle I was in heaven.  I only remember eating only one of those much desired fair confections at the Big E - my life moved on and country fairs moved out of my end of summer ritual. Waffles remain a favorite in our home. Everyone gets excited for waffles.

Waffles
Makes 8-10 waffles 

2 eggs separated
2 cups milk
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking  powder
1 scant tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil

Preheat your waffle iron.
Whisk together in a large bowl flour, baking powder, and salt.
Add egg yolks, oil and milk and mix with a handheld mixer.
Whip egg whites until frothy gradually add sugar and continue whisk at high speed until egg whites are stiff and hold a peak.
Gently fold in beaten egg whites in thirds.

Time tip:  I use the Kitchenaid hand mixer and use the beaters for the flour mixture and the whisk for the egg whites.

Prepare your iron per manufacturers instructions.  I oil my iron top and bottom between every waffle even though it is nonstick.

Untitled

066

No comments: