April 8, 2013

Homemade Cheeseburger Macaroni Dinner

IMG_0614a

Saturdays are often busy and I don't think of the dinner menu until the family start fussing around for something to eat.  I gave up boxed convenience foods a long time ago but I always appreciated the ease of Hamburger Helper and I fondly remember the excitement when my own mother made it when I was  a young teenager.  After trying several recipes with mediocre results, I have found the winning combination.  This recipe uses one pan and the spices in your spice cabinet, and the bonus is that it cooks in about 15 minutes.

Cheeseburger Macaroni Dinner
Serves 4 to 5 (add more macaroni and serve more)

1 1/4 lb ground beef
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups hot water
2 cups macaroni
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Optional 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
 
Brown ground beef in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Discard any fat. Add the spices to browned meat. Add milk, water and cornstarch.  Stir until the cornstarch is mixed in.   Add the pasta and Worcestershire sauce.  Bring to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes macaroni is done.  Add the cheese and parsley if using; stir to combine. Serve immediately
 
Recipe adapted from Farm Girl Gourmet

IMG_0613a

catching the last of the evening light
 

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Its nice that you have such fond memories. On the other hand, my children do not have fond memories of Hamburger Helper. I will have to try your recipe.