August 22, 2012

Black Plum Jam

plum jam

We love jam in our house.  I prefer mine on my morning toast and the rest of the family spreads thick layers of jam on biscuits, corn muffins, toast and bread.  My grandmother served plum jam with her Sunday breakfasts where she toasted up English muffins.  Living in the desert southwest, plum jam had been hard to find when I first moved here.  Now I can find it easily but I still crave a certain plummy flavor over just the over-powering sugar sweetness I find in a lot of store plum jams. I saw a great sale on plums and thought jam.  I have always wanted to make jam even though I don't know how and I  am a little scared to can the jam so it keeps in the pantry but making it for the refrigerator and freezer is within my skill range.  I really would like to learn how to can from my Dad as he did a lot of canning when I was growing up, along with my Mom.  He still makes his chili sauce and pickles every other year or so. One year soon, I must spend a day doing that with him.

This jam is really delicious.  I keep catching my son taking a spoonful as he stands at the refrigerator.

Plum Jam
2 pounds small plums pitted and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 lemon, seeded

In a large, nonreactive saucepan, toss the plums with the sugar and let stand, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is mostly dissolved, about 1 hour.
Squeeze the lemon over the plums, add it to the saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
Cook over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid runs off the side of a spoon in thick, heavy drops, 20 to 25 minutes.
As the fruit cooks down dissolve any sugar crystals stuck to the sides of the pan with a pastry brush dipped into hot water - this prevents the sugar from recrystallizing.
Skim off any scum that rises to the surface of the jam.
Discard the lemon and spoon the plum jam into three 1/2-pint jars, leaving about 1/4 inch of space at the top.
Close the jars and let the jam cool to room temperature.
Store the jam in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.
I put 1 freezer proof plastic container in the freezer and will let you know how it turns out.
plum jam

adapted from foodandwine.com

No comments: