April 30, 2012

Butter Lamb

lamb butter mold I had a lovely discussion with a woman whose parents had immigrated to the U.S. from Poland. Sharing some similar cultural food customs I was very interested in her family's tradition of the lamb shaped butter mold. It was a tradition in her home as a child and still is now to shape her butter into a lamb shape for the Easter table. The butter lamb symbolizes Spring and Resurrection. Even more she gathers up her entire Easter dinner and brings it to the church for a blessing by the priest. All that is left of my immigrant customs are a few food customs and a word or two. I am eager to add more meaningful customs to my family's celebration.

In my kitchen, I found brand new chocolate molds and made individual butter molds that amounted to a cute little pat of butter.

I used my counter softened butter and filled the mold, leveled the back, put into the freezer until solid and gently released the butter with the tip of a sharp knife.

No comments: