May 16, 2011

Sloppy Joe Sandwiches

sloppy joes

Some week nights I am scratching my head at what to make for dinner. I want something nutritious, delicious, quick and with a fairly easy cleanup. Sloppy joes are my quick and easy go to meal. They satisfy a children and adults of all ages. I like to serve mine with coleslaw and macaroni and cheese for the ultimate American style meal.

Sloppy Joes
Serves 4

Olive oil
1 medium onion chopped finely
1 garlic clove run through a press
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 pound of ground beef or turkey
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1 cup of tomato sauce
1/2 cup of ketchup
splash of water, if needed
salt and pepper
Tabasco sauce to taste

Brown onion and a pinch of salt in a bit of oil in a large saute pan. Cook until lightly browned about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and chili powder and cook until fragrant. Add the ground beef, brown sugar, and some salt and pepper and cook until meat is browned, about 5 minutes.

Stir in the tomato sauce, ketchup, and water. Cook until slightly thickened. Season with Tabasco and salt and pepper.

Serve on rolls.


Kristen said...

Looks tasty! I'd love you to link this to This Week's Cravings - it's beef week!

misssunshine728 said...

mmmm, maybe a sloppy joe night this summer would be fabulous!

Wendy said...

I was hoping to try with ground chicken or turkey this summer.