February 11, 2011

My Sister's Cream of Broccoli Soup

IMG_7691

This soup was a staple at my sister's table every Thanksgiving and Christmas. I was able to enjoy it once or twice when I was lucky enough to share Christmas with my family. My sister has moved on from this once-upon-a-time holiday staple but I frequently make it. It is perfect for a light lunch especially if I omit the cream in the recipe. As a note, my father uses this same base recipe for a garlic soup.

Broccoli Soup
1¾ pounds of broccoli cut up
4 Tablespoons of butter or olive oil
1 cup of onion chopped
½ cup of celery finely diced
4 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
6 cups chicken broth
½ cup of heavy cream-you can omit this and increase your broccoli amount for richness

In a medium saucepan, cook broccoli in ½ cup of simmering water, covered for 15 minute. Cook until soft and done, remove from heat and set aside.
In a large pot melt butter or heat oil over medium heat and add onion and celery until softened. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk the chicken broth and lemon juice. Add drained broccoli and some of the broccoli water if desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 15 minutes and remove from heat and cool slightly. With an immersion blender, food processor or blender puree soup until smooth. If desired, hold back some broccoli floret chunks (I puree the entire soup).
Return to pot if using a counter puree method and add the cream. Cook until hot without boiling.

IMG_7692

No comments: