February 27, 2011

Lentil Soup

Lentil Soup

When I think of soup, I think of childhood. As a small child, I remember my father making soup during lean times to feed us. Not only did soup provide the sustenance to get my family through economic hardship but it also provided solace. A peace of mind that something was cooking in the kitchen for the family meal. My mother made homemade bread at this time and my father would make his homemade noodles that he called haluski which are basically and egg style noodle/dumpling boiled in water. My father used a fork to make the noodles - they were quite large and satisfying. Soup is the all time comfort food especially when little food is to be had.

One of my favorite soups is lentil. I love the earthy flavor and the heartiness of it. It is my favorite thing to have for lunch. I like to put some fresh spinach in the bottom of my soup bowl and ladle the soup right on top. Sometimes I add some cooked kale like in the photograph.

This is my sister's lentil soup recipe.

Lentil Soup
2-3 Tablespoons of olive oil
1 large onion finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1 carrot chopped
2 - 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups of brown lentils, rinsed and picked over for stones
44 ounces of chicken chicken broth
1 teaspoon of crushed oregano
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
2 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons dill weed
salt and pepper to taste

In a large dutch oven or soup pot. Heat oil and add onions, celery, and carrots. Cook until softened about 5-8 minutes. Add the pressed garlic and oregano and cook until fragrant about 30 seconds. Add the lentils, broth, zest, lemon juice, and dill weed. Cook for 2 hours until lentils are tender. Add extra liquid (chicken broth or water as desired) as needed.

IMG_3446
IMG_4660a

1 comment:

bonnie said...

I love lentil soup, actually my family does to. I will have to try it with the lemon zest and dill. I also add sausage to it.