February 1, 2010

French Yogurt Cake

afternoon tea

IMG_3767a

I bought a big container of Greek style yogurt thinking I would be able to replace my favorite yogurt (I will admit to my favorite infantile yogurt - Yo Baby Banana). I saw Dr. Oz showcasing his breakfast of Greek yogurt, some fruit and nuts and thought I would give it a try. The transition is not so easy on my taste buds. I needed to use up the giant container of yogurt. While paging through Dorie Greenspan's cookbook, I saw her French Yogurt Cake recipe and said ooh la la, la cuisine de france est tres délicieux  - anything to bring me closer to France, and I thought I will be like a French women and make this French staple.  It reminded me of pound cake versus a lighter airy cake.  I predict, I will use this recipe often especially since it is so easy to make and the fact that it calls for oil over butter.  

French Yogurt Cake
makes 1 loaf or 1 9-inch round

1 ½  cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼  teaspoon salt
½  cup plain whole-milk yogurt
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon (packed) finely grated lemon peel
¼  teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup vegetable oil

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
Generously butter 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2-inch metal loaf pan.
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into medium bowl.
Combine yogurt, sugar, eggs, lemon peel, and vanilla in large bowl; whisk until well blended.
Gradually whisk in dry ingredients.
Using rubber spatula, fold in oil. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
Place pan on baking sheet.
Place cake on baking sheet in oven and bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
Cool cake in pan on rack 5 minutes.
Cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Turn cake out onto rack.
Turn cake upright on rack and cool completely.
Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap and store at room temperature.
Recipe inspired by Dorie Greenspan

IMG_3769

snapdragon and fairy

Untitled

french yogurt cake

1 comment:

shifa firoz said...

i made this cake yday and it came out so yummy!! thanks for sharing the recipe :)