January 21, 2008

Scalloped Potatoes

These scalloped potatoes were so creamy and delicious. A must try for a winter dinner. We had a cold snap and the house need warming up so I made these potatoes and a pork roast. I am not very clever when it comes to pork, though. Normally, it is dry, bland and not a family favorite. I tried a rub of coarse salt, rosemary, pepper and olive oil. The meat was surprisingly salty, not over salty but close. I rubbed the meat then put it in the oven. I didn't expect it to sink that deeply into the flesh. I cooked it at a high temperature too. I will try again with pork - one of these days I will get it. Here is the tasty potato recipe(I used my new OXO mandolin which is a total pain in the neck to change and store blades but made potato slicing a breeze):

2 Tbls butter
1 onion chopped finely
1 tsp thyme
2 garlic cloves minced
1tsp salt
pepper
2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 cup of heavy cream
2 bay leaves
4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 425 F
Melt butter in large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until softened (5 mins). Stir in thyme and garlic until fragrant. Add potatoes, broth, cream and bay leaves. Bring mixture to simmer, reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Discard bay leaves and transfer to a 8" square baking dish. Press potatoes into an even layer and tip with cheese. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool for 1o minutes.

No comments: