1/3 cup granulated sugar plus 1/2 cup for dipping (spread on plate)
2-1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground allspice
12 Tbs softened butter but still cool
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar (2.5 oz)
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup light or dark molasses
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 F.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in bowl until thoroughly combined; set aside.
- In standing mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter with brown and granulated sugars at medium high speed until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Reduce speed to med-low and add yolk and vanilla; increase speed to medium and beat until incorporated, about 20 seconds. Scraping bottom and sides of bowl once. Reduce speed to lowest setting and add flour mixture and beat until incorporated about 30 seconds. Dough will be soft.
- Using tablespoon measure, scoop heaping tablespoon of dough and roll to form a 1-1/2 inch ball. Roll ball into sugar. Space 2 inches apart on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 1 sheet at a time until cookies are browned, still puffy and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone) about 11 minutes
- Cool cookies 5 minutes on sheet then transfer to wire rack. Can be stored in an airtight container for up to five days.